Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Salt and Light


13 “You are the salt of the earthbut if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

There are many options for our children when it comes to schooling. Kevin and I understand we do have a choice as to not only where our children attend school (public or private) but also as to the content of what they are learning (homeschool).  At the beginning of this year, knowing that Sofia would be starting Kindergarten, we began to seek and pray what would be best for Sofia and our family.

Private school was out because of cost.  Homeschooling was out because honestly, teaching is not my strength. And the thought of doing so while nursing and the fact that the student was our strong-willed child, this didn't seem to be best for our family.  Thus, it was public school.
We are thankful the school district has a respectable reputation.  We are also thankful for how God has confirmed that this was the right decision.

How did He do that?

First by some friends encouraging us with the words, "You can be Salt and Light."

And secondly, by God providing the opportunity to be Salt and Light.

The first day of school at the bus stop we met two families with Kindergartners from our sub-division that we had not had interaction with before.  Over the next couple of weeks I met other moms of older school age kids at the bus stop during drop-off time.  The bus stop itself has provided for some amazing times of interaction.

Needless to say, just talking isn't necessarily being Salt and Light.  God has given me courage and boldness to share and to invite.  There are now three neighbourhood children attending AWANA with Sofia.

God is good.  He encourages, he confirms, he strengthens, and he challenges.  

We pray we can be the Salt and Light to many because of Sofia attending public school (and taking the bus).


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Keri for this post. With Bailey starting school next year we had the same decision. There are many around us, who home school or send to private school, and I feel guilty sometimes because Bailey will be going to public school. So a good reminder that we can be Salt and Light!

Marcella said...

Thanks for sharing Keri, I was very encouraged. I know we are still years away from school, but I already feel like I wouldn't want to homeschool and private school would not be an option because of cost. Glad to hear public is going well and that you've had these great opportunities to share. :)

Marshman Family Album said...

thank you for writing about this! This topic weights heavy on my heart always and too many times I let fear blind me from the truth. I was really encouraged!