Dear Sofia,
Over the past couple of weeks I've been confronted by a most wonderful reality that your heart is one that is changing for the Greater.
I was so proud of you when your teacher told me at our parent/teacher conference that you were excelling in your studies but that it was your heart that really impressed her. She noticed it at the beginning of the school year when you asked to be a helper to some of the special needs students that your class interacts with during P.E. Your heart is filled with joy every day when you serve Yvonne and Jason.
Last week my heart was filled with joy when a widow from our church called to tell me, "That Sofia, I don't know what it is about her but she is something special. I really appreciate how she gives me a smile every Sunday."
And then this past Monday night. Wow!
I asked you and your sister to clean the upstairs toy area. While doing so you guys decided that then would be a good time to "clean out" some of your toys and put them in the give-away box. I observed how easy it was for you to give some toys away while other toys took a bit more thought. And then it happened. A sacrificial giving. Into the give-away box you put Pinky Winky. Pinky Winky the build-a-bear that you had recently acquired as a birthday party favor. After placing the bear in the box you just stood there. I could see the struggle you were fighting of not wanting to give but knowing that you needed to. All I could do was hug you and cry with you. Your heart was expressing a learned lesson from Christ...giving is loving.
I shouldn't have been surprised that the Lord had been working in your heart about the matter of giving. I realized it was a process for you when I found a piece of paper you had written on a couple nights earlier with the following words:
I hope you like this bear very mach
love it care for it
i hope you love it
this youst to be mine but I know you have nuthing so i what to give it to you
from Sofia to her
I am 7 and my phone cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx
You can cell me and be my friend
Hope you like me and be my BFF
Sofia, keep learning, keep giving and keep loving. Your heart is beautiful. And I am confident of this,
"...that He who began a good work in you will see it through completion." Phil. 1:6
Love, Mom
1 comment:
Oh wow, Keri. That must have been such a great moment to witness. What a sweet, mature little girl. :)
Post a Comment