The girls terribly wanted to play outside in the snow on Saturday. I didn't think it was a very good idea being that the temp was in the teens with the windchill factor dropping it down to single digits. The kids might have had fun but me the momma would have been FREEZING!!
Next best idea: ice skating.
Kevin gladly volunteered to stay home with Isaiah (being that it was his naptime) while the girls and I headed to the local ice rink. Now mind you, I personally haven't been on ice skates since my freshman year of college. So what was that? Almost 25 years ago. Yikes!!! Anywhoo, the things you do for your kids.
On the way over, I told the girls there were two words we were going to keep in my mind. Patience and fun. I don't know if this was for their sake or mine but needless to say these were words that kept us going.
Patience was needed right off the bat as we took our time taking off shoes, getting our skates on, then putting away our belongings. It must have took a good 20 minutes to do all of that. Then onto the ice. Oh boy! I don't know who was more nervous, me or the girls.
Thankfully it was a special promotions day at the local rink and they were offering free lessons. YEAH!!!!! A most wonderful, patient coach, Miss Katie, instructed us on how to move our feet and how to use our arms and knees for balance. She was also kind enough to accompany us around the ice our first time out and she was so proud of the girls that she game them a "trophy".
After a couple times around the ice, Sofia was confident enough to venture out on her own. Selah did quite well herself but preferred that mommy be right by her side. No worries. Going slow was just fine by me. And every time one of the girls fell, we just said to ourselves, "It's okay, we are still having FUN!"
No comments:
Post a Comment