Hair is not something usually taken for granted. For many women it defines who they are. Whether long and luscious or short and sassy, your hair is often an expression of who you are.
Personally I have some pretty strong feelings to my girls having long hair. Some of this stems from my own hairstyle as a young girl. My hair was always really, really short (think 70s pixie styles) until I was in high school and had "control" over the length of my hair. I realize my hair was fine and curly and we lived in a hot, tropical place, but I really disliked being mistaken for a boy at times. Good or bad, long hair usually means girl, short hair means boy.
All this to say, when Sofia told me she wanted to cut her hair short, I about had a heart attack. What was she thinking? I mean she didn't even begin to grow hair until she was almost three years old. Now, her hair did need a trim but to cut above her shoulders.....No!!!
I realized that I enjoy accessorizing my girls with their hair. Think party, curls; apple picking, braids; outdoor fun, ponytails.
So it was time to get Sofia's haircut. We talked about it, and I gotta be honest with you, I just couldn't let her cut her hair as short as she wanted. Thankfully she was very happy with the compromise of being able to cut off SIX inches.
Here is her hair right before it got cut. She had had it in a braid all day.
And the after picture.
Maybe I should go to therapy before she gets it cut again.
No comments:
Post a Comment