
I (Kevin) got within twenty yards of a Red-tailed Hawk today. The Red-tails are fairly common in our area, but to see one of these enormous, beautiful birds is still an amazing sight. The hawk flew down into a field and as I approached it flew away into an adjacent tree. I think the bird was miffed that I had disturbed its chance for a nice meal.
I really enjoy taking time to watch birds. It is a habit that I picked up from my dad. I remember on occasion my dad would come home and share with my mom about a special bird sighting. "I saw a Baltimore Oriole today," he would say. My brother Paul also enjoys birds. In fact, he has sent me several CDs filled with bird songs. Like my brother, I am learning to distinguish birds by the songs that they sing.
Why do I have a fascination with birds? It is true that my dad and brother have encouraged my bent toward birding, but I think ultimately it is because all of us were made to appreciate the handiwork of the Creator. "So God created...every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:21)."
If you are like me, and need a break from a culture that is so impressed with itself, take some time to smell the flowers, and to see the birds. Then your soul will be refreshed and primed to worship the Creator of all that is good.
2 comments:
That is a big bird! I'm glad you guys are now blogging, and look forward to reading it.
Mark
Hi Mark, glad to hear from you. I should have mentioned that the picture of the Red-tail is from the web, I certainly couldn't have taken that good of a picture! But, the size of the bird was definitely the same. We sure look forward to seeing you guys around soon. In the meantime, we'll be in touch via the blogosphere.
Post a Comment