Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How to pray

A couple of weeks ago, our evening's Bible story was "How to pray".  We read from The Jesus Storybook Bible (we highly recommend this Bible to parents), a paraphrase of The Lord's Prayer, from Matthew 6.  We as a family learned and were reminded that God just can't wait to give us all that we need.  We don't need to use long words or special words.  We don't have to use a special voice.  We just have to talk.

Over this past month we really have seen a growth in Sofia's prayer life.  It's so beautiful to listen to her pray words of praise and thankfulness to God for his creation (everything from the birds in the sky to the boogers in her nose) as well as pray for friends and family who are sick.

This past Sunday evening Sofia sat on the trunk of the car inside the garage to watch the rain fall.  She asked me, "Mommy, why isn't there any thunder?"   I explained to her that it doesn't always thunder when it rains.

A few minutes later while I was getting some things out of a box, I heard her child's voice pray very simply,  "Dear God, please make it thunder."

About 30 minutes later while we were sitting at the dinner table, God answered her prayer.  It thundered!!!  What a blessing we had as parents to share with our child that God does hear her prayers and God does answer.

1 comment:

sherry said...

I bought that Bible for Hope after reading through some of it. I love the "bigger picture" it offers! I spent more time reading through it than I expected :)