Sunday, December 20, 2009

Making Disciples - Sometimes Humiliating, Always Humbling

This commercial is hilarious, but it also packs a poignant punch. The clueless guy with the huge stain had no chance of being heard by his interviewer because the stain on his shirt spoke volumes.

About fifteen years ago, I went golfing with a guy who the Lord had brought into my life to help disciple. To make a long story short, I ended up using a lot of really nasty words at the foursome behind us that really dishonored the Lord. Thankfully, the guy I was with, was far enough along in his walk with the Lord to pray with me, forgive me, and to this day still loves the Lord, and me! But, oh, how humiliating!

I wonder if we Christians, who are called to be disciples of Christ, and commissioned to make disciples of Christ, couldn't learn a lesson from the shirt-stained guy in the commercial? I wonder if the reason our witness for the Lord, and efforts in discipleship fall on suspecting deaf ears, really has nothing do with other people being deaf after all? Perhaps those we are seeking to disciple hear just fine, but perhaps our lives are filled with unchecked stains of sin which speak volumes above anything that we might try to teach others?

The way I see it is that we have two options really. We can give up on our commission, and many have, or we can evaluate ourselves humbly and seek God's grace to train us to renounce ungodliness and worldliness and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in this present age (Titus 2:12).

The evaluation process is truly humbling, and never really ends on this side of heaven, but it is the most rewarding course.

No comments: