Tuesday, May 21, 2013

10 years in the making. Part 4.

Are we willing to get on the plane?

Kevin finished his Master's degree in December 2011.  In April 2012 we were invited to attend a Missions Expo in July with the IMB.  We were excited.  It looked liked things might be falling into place for us to "go".

A week before we left for the Expo, Kevin got a call from our college alma mater in California.  They wanted to interview him for a job the first of August and were pretty sure he was the right guy.  Kevin's heart soared and mine dropped.  We came together in prayer and decided that we would still go to the Expo.

Selfishly I was praying that Kevin would realize he was not to interview.  But it was me God was working on.  We arrived for the three day Expo.  The first night began with a dinner and speaker. The speaker shared a story about a worker in the late 1800s who was on her way to China.  However, before she even arrived she got sick and died.  Because of her testimony many, many single women decided to go to China.

Right away I heard the Lord saying to me, "Deny yourself, Keri.  Deny yourself."

I knew I had to but it wasn't easy.  I did think, how if we went to California I could help mobilize many more to "go" instead of just me.

Over the next couple of days we were asked the same question over and over.  Are you willing to get on the airplane?  Some struggled with this but for Kevin and I are answer was a resounding yes.  Our big question was where was the plane going to land?  Was it in California, Turkey, Lake County, IL?  Oh, Lord, just let us know.

We left Expo knowing a couple of things.  We were willing to go and we were willing to stay.

Kevin traveled to California the first week of August.  In his hotel room a picture hanging on the wall prompted him to consider his role in the kingdom.  The picture was of a shepherd and his sheep.  This has been a common theme in Kevin's life lately.  Shepherding.  His heart's desire isn't to pastor/preach but to shepherd.  Feed the flock, take care of the flock.  He could do so at the college.

After two days of interviews and meeting many a people, Kevin was offered the job.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I look forward to part five!