Thursday, March 18, 2010

What's in a name?

Before I actually had children I would tell you that my criteria for choosing my child's name simply would come down to, I like it, or what name I didn't like because I knew someone with that name and I didn't care for that person so much. 

But after having been able to travel and experience various cultures (between Kevin and I we have been to 35 countries) one thing I observed is how important a name means.  So many times I have been asked, "What does your name mean?".    And then there is Scripture.  Throughout the Bible we are not only told a person's name, but what it means.

Because Sofia has become a popular name over the past couple of years I usually don't hesitate to share the meaning of her name, "wisdom of God", even if simply asked what her name is.  Older people usually think of Sophia Loren and younger people just think it is a pretty name.  But when presented with the meaning, it makes them stop and think.

As for Selah, well, we get questioned regarding her name all the time.  The first thing they ask us to do is spell it.  This offers us an open door to share that it is from the Old Testament and can be found over and over in the book of Psalms.  It means to "pause/meditate upon the Word of God during a musical interlude".

So what's in a name?  Quite a bit.  That is why we are still in prayer and thought regarding our son.   As of right now we don't have a name.   But we will let you know when we do.

2 comments:

Marcella said...

I'm totally with you on the meaning of a name being really important. We had a really hard time picking Andrew's name. For some reason I thought a boys name was so much harder to pick than a girls name. I look forward to seeing what you go with!

Randy / Hayley said...

So that means you'll tell us before he arrives? Or do we get left in suspense again?