Another update from Alison on the Israel team:
Picture 1 - We were able to enjoy some delicious "sweets" in a sweet shop downtown Nazareth. Huge trays of pastries lined the counters of this place and it was bustling with people even at 9:30 at night. We sat down and enjoyed some baklava (rows of it pictured on a tray) and some Kanffe (which is a kind o deep fried cheese with honey and "shredded wheat" on top).
Picture 2 - I've had such a gift in being able to do my job while here at the hospital. They've welcomed me with open arms and are continually asking my opinion and what they should do, although, I'm trying to figure out when they really want my opinion and when they want me to say that things are wonderful -- I think I've come away with, of someone else did it, they want my opinion -- if they did it, they want me to tell them that its wonderful!... Its a tricky business. There is a man who is the head of infection control that I've spent most of my days with and have gotten to know fairly well. He is Arabic and Muslim, although, not totally devout. His name is Sameer. We've had some good conversations and he's invited out group to his vineyard in Cana of Galilee (pray that this will work out as I think it would be good for the relationship as well). I also started working with the head of the OR at the end of the day on Wednesday and will continue on Friday - he's very appreciative of my being here and helping them out, so please pray that I have wisdom and insight in order to truly be of help. Lastly -- the picture included is of three men that I've been working with in the sterilization area -- Sameer (another one), Adel and Mourn (Moen). Adel is a very joyous believer who said that he never knew about Jesus until a woman from England who worked at the hospital 30 years ago told him the story and he accepted Christ. He and his family attend the Baptist church near where we went on Sunday. He is so excited and bubbling even after all these years. The last man on the far right of the picture is Mourn. This man claims to be a Christian, but I do not think that he is truly a believer. He is extremely angry right now as his daughter is attending school in Italy and staying at a convent with some nuns who have been very mean to her. He is angry at Christianity and that they would treat her like this and seems to imply this treatment on others as well. I kept on telling him how religion and the name Christian is not actually having Christ in your life. Christ brings change that is evidenced and, even though mistakes are made, there is love that Christ gives us when he lives in us. Please pray for Mourn that I would be able to speak with him more and also that I would be able to introduce him to some friends here in Nazareth who can show him Christ's love.
Picture 3 - Last thought for the evening. Its amazing to be here in the land of Jesus and see things that are referred to in the Bible and to suddenly get a grasp on things. Olive trees are abundant here and they will not bear fruit and flourish unless, before a certain time, a branch of another olive tree is grafted into the larger tree. In this picture you can see the grafted in branches and it brough to mind Luke 11:24 --- "For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree".... Thank you for your continued prayers. Please pray for us as we do some interaction with some different M communities tomorrow and attempt to show Christ's love to those who don't know Him yet.This is the last over and out for Wednesday, May 20th (or is it the 21st by now???? :))
Picture 4 - To show how confused things are here...
Alison
1 comment:
Wow!! God is truly amazing. It's been exciting to read both of your updates, Alison and Keri. God's plans are always higher and better than ours! I have been praying for those "divine appointments" and that you would all get to experience Arab homes and hospitality, and that you would have many chances to share. Alison, how great that you have been able to do so much at the hospital because of your job and experience here at home!
we continue to pray-
Blessings to you all,
Joni
Post a Comment